Sunday, August 26, 2012

Apricot, dates, banana, almond and pistachio cake

The kitchen is my mom's territory and I seldom venture into this area. Not that mom doesn't let me. She would be delighted if I learn some cooking skill from her. But usually, the 'boss' won't like it if you mess up her territory, right? ;p Just kidding... 

Last Saturday, mom suggested that I bake a cake to bring to the potluck. She has already cooked some beef stew. But since there are quite a number of us going, it's better we bring more food. So, my first attempt to bake a supposed to be prune & pistachio cake, turned out to be a "Apricot, dates, banana, almond and pistachio cake". Reason is that we have a lot of dates (buah Kurma) and banana. These dates are seen selling at most stores during the Muslim fasting month. 

The cake was super delicious and nothing was left at the potluck. Thanks mom for guiding beside me. ;) 

Ingredients :-
  • 210g plain flour
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 6 eggs
  • 200g of sugar (I've already cut down sugar because the dates are extremely sweet)
  • 100ml melted butter (Corn oil can be used here, but I prefer butter)
  • ~ 130g chopped dried apricots and dates 
  • 2 bananas
  • ~100g grounded pistachio and almond

Method:-
  1. Sieve flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl. 
  2. Melt the butter and measure 100ml.
  3. Mix sugar into butter. Add bananas and eggs into the melted butter and mix well.
  4. Stir into flour mixture together with apricots, dates, pistachio and almond until well blended.
  5. Spoon mixture into a cake tin with grease paper. Bake in preheated oven at 175C for 35-40minutes. Stand for 10minutes and turn on wire rack to cool.



2nd attempt was on banana chocolate cake. But I just helped slightly.. mom did the rest. Mom said i whipped the mixture too long and it turned out a bit too wet at the bottom layer. Not sure about that though.. Will try again when I have the chance lah!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...